Tuesday, January 15, 2008

War


War
What do we do it for?
The same lies sold us before
Still drip with treachery.
None of this making sense to me,
The eyes of my soul bleed sore
For nuclear babies,
Sci-fi monsters seeking only love in futility
At last put down like diseased dogs;
We wouldn’t want to look at them -
Their ugly mutilation on our box.
And their families, fearing the shame,
Once again receiving the blame
For what we westerners think,
Spitting into flames
Of danger, fear, intimidation -
Apparently the quest of this nation
To destroy -
Selling ‘freedom’ like a toy
Picture postcard with a cheesy grin,
Except nobody’s in.
They’re off playing golf with their lover:
‘Socially acceptable’ sin
Just like the other -
Murder -
As more children seek cover
From yet another bomb,
Setting everything wrong and out of shape again.
And I feel
So much guilt, so disgusted
As much by my own finger pointing
As the evilness of one, the ignorance of another.
Because these people are my brothers
And I
Might well sigh, cry, get angry for a while
Before crossing the street, remembering to smile
And get on complaining about my own
Sickly sweet concerns,
A life where war is on tele
And only oil burns.

No comments: